Sunday, November 16, 2008

holy goose crap, batman.

so i get a frantic call from whitney tonight asking me where i am and what i'm doing and do i have my camera handy. apparently the sunrise was unreal...i was just chilling at home and had no idea. i peeked out the window and saw immediately why she was being so spastic.

the red in the sky was overwhelming and the first color to register to my brain. the clouds were a lavender edged in bright red, orange and fuschia...it was incredible. i immediately began regretting where i live. too many houses...too many light poles...too many whatever. i jumped into my car and drove to the closest "open" area i could find which was sloans. i knew i didn't have much time, i've missed capturing an incredible sky by minutes many a time.

my sight was still pretty impeded because the majority of the incredibleness was south of where i was and there was just too much in the way.

then there were the geese. lord knows i have a problem with birds, but i really really really don't like geese. they are quite unkind.

the area of the park where i needed to stand to get a decent view was covered in a flock of geese. at least 50 strong. but the sky was just too lovely. so i took the leap.

i walked amidst the hoard and they did well at moving aside at first and i went along taking pictures and murmuring threats to any of the fowl who thought it might be fun to start something. for a few minutes we had this uneasy balance of me in their midst and them not starting trouble...but i could see the deviousness lurking behind those beady bird eyes. i was snapping away when i heard a rush of wings and not 5 feet from me a large portion of them decided it was time to fly. i let out a little "woah there", jumped to the side and skipped out of the way. i could see the others had the same intent so i slowly moved away from where i was to let them fly away. after a moment they did, and i was able to get on with it.

oi.

i got a few shots. but not anything that did the sky any kind of justice...the oranges and reds just didn't translate well. plus, had i the forethought and the time, i would have brought the tripod. as it was, most of this was shot at 1/25 or less (usually less).

*full view is highly recommended*




this one, i was facing north and using my car as a tripod...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful...
I'm always frustrated that nature can never be captured the way I want it to on camera. Even if it's video, you can never reproduce life. Skies are the worst in this... I walked out of my office yesterday afternoon and was stopped in my tracks by the gorgeous sunset that canopied the sky. It's those moments that I, too, wish I had my camera. The one on my phone doesn't usually cut it.

stephonix said...

i'm in full agreement here.
and per the sky yesterday evening...holy crap it was amazing.
whit called me yet again, but my camera was unavailable, so that one had to be filed away in the 'ol brain.

that, at least, can capture the beauty.